Thursday, February 23, 2012

Why Erotica is a Wonderful Thing

I am so glad that there are erotica writers and erotic short stories. They allow us to connect with our inner being in a whole new way.

Let me tell you a story. I grew up in a very conservative community where sex was something dirty and not spoken about. It was understood that you would do it once you got married, but before then: don't talk about it or think about it. I knew so little about it and I was terrified of it. Sex was always hidden behind secrecy and talked about like it was evil.

When I went to college I remained a virgin. I hadn't even ever masturbated. In my Junior year a friend shared a book of erotic short stories with me and it opened me to feelings that I'd never had before.

It was beautiful.

My body felt warm and comfortable as I read. Everything about it felt right. It was because of erotic fiction that I began my journey towards a healthy relationship with sex and my own body.

I said recently that fantasy and reality are very different things when it comes to erotica. What turns me on is not remotely related to anything I would want to happen in real life. I don't think that's a bad thing. I think, rather, that it is fascinating that human beings have such a variety of ways to tap into the sexual energy within us.

It often gets tapped in unexpected ways, and that fresh new perspective can bring delight from surprising directions.

I enjoy my erotic fiction. I don't worry when I am turned on in fiction by something that is illegal in real life. My stories tend to have problems with consent on the part of the man. Real men I would never demean in this way. The men in my life are people I respect and revere. In fiction, with fake people, I can explore fascinating, deep, and dark places in the human soul.

Without the outlet of erotica, I would be afraid of where repression might take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment